Mr Green and Opportunity Knocks— For Aberdeen?

Bybroganrogantrevinoandhogan

Mr Green and Opportunity Knocks— For Aberdeen?

Good Morning,

In the last week, we have seen a number of strange occurrences in Scottish Football, which if taken together might just point to a very different land than the one we were lead to believe we live in just two short years ago.

First of all there was the report from a firm of well known accountants which pronounced that a significant number of Scottish Football Clubs had, in fact, sold more season tickets for this coming season than they had in the course of the last several years.

Then we had the spectacle of the National team travelling to Wembley and playing very well AND being cheered on by a very large travelling support who appear to have been full of fun and who acquitted themselves well in the big smoke.

This morning I read that today’s match at Pittodrie is a sell out — with the old stadium being packed to the rafters for the visit of Celtic. This is the first time that Aberdeen have been able to sell out the fixture for some 6 years!

Not only that, various Celtic supporting websites have lead with articles saying that the return of a strong Aberdeen and Dundee United are to be welcomed– in fact not only welcomed but positively wished for.

In contrast, stories abound about the in fighting on the Ibrox Board. There are surreptitious share dealings and all sorts of company jockeying being deployed by the rival factions who are trying to gain control of The Rangers. Further, there is the suggestion from some well informed parties that not only will Ibrox and the Albion be sold and leased back to the club to generate much needed immediate cash, but that Murray Park has been sold off completely and will no longer be available to The Rangers for any purpose whatsoever!

Clearly, there are big troubles at the club which will not assist in the stated intention of rising to the very top in Scottish Football.

In between all of this, the debate goes on about Campbell Ogilvie, Press manipulation, the correspondence  between Media House and the SFA, and between The SFA and Ibrox re the relationship between Charlie Green and Craig Whyte and so on.

Standing with my business hat on, I looked at all of this and wondered what it all meant, and pretty quickly reached the conclusion that we are now in a time of supreme opportunity for some of the clubs in Scottish Football—- particularly Aberdeen FC.

There is a view abroad, that in the absence of the “Strong Rangers” that Celtic Football Club will win the SPFL title for almost evermore — or at least until they are toppled from the top spot by the rise of a strong Rangers club somewhere towards the end of this decade or early in the next– because we are assured that they will be back– in one form or another– in a rather Arnold Schwarzenegger  like fashion.

That return or initial rise if you like– its timing and its manner— is dependent on a number of things– not least the exit strategy of Charlie Green and his cohorts.

If it is true that The Rangers are going to part company with Ibrox and the Albion, that they have taken on a loan of funds which attract a rate of interest that amounts to 15% per annum, and that there are set figures for buying the old ( and decaying ) stadium back any time soon, and that they have yet again hawked the season ticket money, then the already flawed Ibrox business plan is burdened even more by interest and rent payments of an additional £3M per annum and rising!

It should also be noted that the accounts for old co from the mid naughties onwards boasted that season ticket sales, merchandising, corporate hospitality and so on had reached unprecedented levels—- but—- the club still did not make an operating profit without strange internals transactions such as the repurchase of media rights which added £15M on to the P&L’s AND the sale of Jean Alain Boomsong!

Accordingly, the current position will not make for good financial reading.

So– let’s presume that in the current climate Celtic are out of sight and will always be champions for ever and a day. What do the rest of the clubs say in the absence of the Ibrox club without whom they have been told they will perish?

Well, If I were in charge of Aberdeen FC I would look out across a city with an inherent population of some 220,000 souls sitting in a county which takes the population up by another 40,000 or so. I would note that the compact city also houses two universities and a number of colleges — all of which attract visitors to the city— and that its position as the oil capital of Europe also draws in a substantial number of itinerant workers.

Further, personal knowledge shows that many who studied at Aberdeen University or Robert Gordon’s in the 80’s left the city as Aberdeen FC fans and no matter where they have ended up in life they still make the journey back to Pittodrie when they can– especially in good times!

Alas, however, Aberdeen has not enjoyed ” Good Times” of late— in fact not really since ……….. the arrival of David Murray at Ibrox!

If you cast your mind back to the pre Murray era, Aberdeen were a force not only in Scotland but Europe as the recent nostalgia re Gothenburg has reminded us.

The city has an economic micro climate which suggests that it can ride economic hardship better than most and so all things considered this current period provides a great opportunity for the Dons.

Unlike Dundee United, Hearts, and Hibs, Aberdeen FC sits in a large one team conurbation and should be on the doorstep of a populace which can fill Pittodrie every single week …… IF that fan base can be motivated.

And there lies the rub– how do you get a notoriously fickle fan base out of the armchair and into the stadium?

The late Bob Crampsey once described Pittodrie by saying ” And there are the masses of Aberdeen fans, masquerading as rows and rows of Empty seats!” yet in their heydey an Aberdeen crowd on a visit to Glasgow were among the noisiest– and to this football fans eyes — the scariest ( in a good sense ) supports to be seen.

Well, at this juncture, Derek McInnes and team need only look at every other football club in the land ( bar Celtic ) and determine that come next May those others will be below them in the league. If Aberdeen maintain a strong league run keeping everyone behind them then there is the possibility of a huge revenue swing in favour of the Dons– such a swing that would put them in an even stronger position for the following year.

Further, Aberdeen are a European name. Perhaps a European name from yesteryear and not the recent past, but the pedigree is there and as such there will be those who remember the heady European Nights both home and away. Reviving those memories and that reputation– at least to an extent– is not beyond the club, and with no disrespect to Motherwell and St Johnstone both of whom are liable to lose key players or even a manager between seasons, Aberdeen may just be of a size to consolidate each year rather than scramble to maintain the momentum of one good season which comes along every now and then.

Financial management and football rewards can go hand in hand when combined properly, and of all the clubs in Scotland who can benefit from a level playing field in terms of proper football governance, Aberdeen FC are uniquely placed in my opinion.

That is not so say that The Arabs, or the Hibees or anyone else cannot benefit– on the contrary— but the Dons are the most obvious candidates in terms of potential structure to really motor forward and regain a by gone status.

Such a situation, and the recognition of that potential, should be borne in mind by all at Celtic Football Club, as last year they struggled for a period in the league while they concentrated on their European exploits. If Celtic want to go further and further in Europe ( and why shouldn’t they ) they will have to be wary of any club which is capable of reigniting its fortunes from a lowly position or a position of having to look back at glory and potential glory rather than looking forward.

Further, with the way things are being organised at Ibrox, there is absolutely no guarantee ( some would say likelihood ) that an eventual challenge to a perceived dominance by Celtic will come from that quarter, and life in the top flight for any returning Rangers could prove very difficult if the likes of Aberdeen get their act together and start to produce the type of home grown team of old.

For now, I sense a degree of optimism about the Dons– not just on the playing front either.  They have a fan base, they have a business model and a good young manager, and any comparative business exercise must conclude that they have every chance of rising above most of their rivals in the league, in terms of revenue, in terms of brand development and business expansion.

If I were an Aberdeen fan I would like to think positive and be ambitious in this climate, whilst at the same time casting an eye back to the days when they were top of the tree.

As one Aberdeen supporting ( but now Edinburgh based ) friend put it to me:

” Ah, those were the days my friend, those were the days……………”

broganrogantrevinoandhogan author

Boot wearing football, sport & total nonsense fan-- Gourmet, Bon Viveur and eedgit! - Oh and I write a bit occasionally!

2,310 Comments so far

Danish PastryPosted on7:16 am - Aug 23, 2013

RyanGosling says:
August 22, 2013 at 10:37 pm
13 7 Rate This

I see it one way, you see it another, it’s something that has been mentioned a lot on here and I just thought I’d express my view …
———–

Ryan, when this all started a few years ago, like you, I felt genuine sympathy for McCoist. He was not only struggling as a manager but had been dropped right in it, as the great, dignified Walter shut the door behind him just in time. I put some of McCoist’s poor press conferences down to stress and exhaustion (ma auld maw always told me to think the best of people and make my own mind up about them). My opinion has changed though. There have been too many veiled threats, too many denials, too much allowing himself to be used by the ST hungry cabal who are enriching themselves – and Ally – if newspaper reports about his shares and wages are true. Some people think he’s sleekit, and they may well be right. There is also the possibilty though, that he is unimaginably thick. But that is still no excuse. He should have gotten out a long time ago. His “I’m doing it for the club I love” stuff is wearing a bit thin as he continues the disasterous chequebook management style of his mentor, while he encourages fans to part with ST money, that is hardly being used wisely. And insult to injury is his threatening and hostile ‘press conference’ style.

bmchughPosted on7:29 am - Aug 23, 2013

ecobhoy says:
August 22, 2013 at 4:40 pm

…However that wasn’t the case when I was being raised and going to school in the Gorbals until the very early 1950s when the first Muslim and some Hindu kids arrived on the scene following the partition of India and formation of Pakistan…

—————————–

A bit off-topic. But since you mentioned the Gorbals, ecobhoy, this might bring back some memories for you. It’s an old Glasgow wedding in the Gorbals, original shot on 8mm in colour by my cousin. Anyone remember the ‘scramble’ at the end? (and was this a peculiarly Glasgow custom?)

Bill1903Posted on7:46 am - Aug 23, 2013

I can remember pre wedding ‘scrambles’ in Aberdeen so it must’ve been national

whispererPosted on8:01 am - Aug 23, 2013

bmchugh
Soooperb change of topic
Will have to look again on the bigger pc screen … Phone too small … Parents lived in Thistle st then Crown st … I was born the year prior to the wedding then emigrated to suburban “Haghill” ! !

schneebPosted on8:44 am - Aug 23, 2013

bmchugh says:
August 23, 2013 at 7:29 am

————-
‘Scramble’ – I now have a picture in my head of loose change being chucked out a car window when the spivs make their getaway with the real money while being chased by a baying mob.

wottpiPosted on9:04 am - Aug 23, 2013

England & Wales for just now but maybe as well that us Internet Bampots CEOs, Football Managers and some clubs Official Media Platforms mind what they say 🙂

“Earlier this year, the CPS unveiled guidance specifying when communications on social media such as Twitter or Facebook – that included threats of violence or damage to property, targeted individuals, or appeared to breach a court order – should be prosecuted.”

Can’t see it catching on here as Police Scotland would be overwhelmed by the work required if monitoring some sites. You know the ones I mean!! 😉

wottpiPosted on9:10 am - Aug 23, 2013

PS

You say scramble, I say ‘poor-oot’ !!

loamfeetPosted on9:20 am - Aug 23, 2013

There are two particularly damning things about McCoist’s latest venting.

1. “If it’s in their rules, it’s in their rules.”

These rules aren’t distant tomes that bear no relevence to McCoist’s club. His club and he personally has an obligation to understand and follow them. I think this is very telling.

2. “Can we just move on to football please. I think I’ve said all I want to say on it.”

After bringing the issue up, he was questioned on whether these hundreds of players placed bets on their own team like Black did. All of a sudden he went coy and wanted to talk about football. What a coward.

I don’t subscribe to the view that McCoist is malevolent. I think he is just thick. You know what this reminds me of? When I was young my sister wrote down a list of all of the times her mum had been nasty to her. She boldly presented this bit of paper to our mother as proof that she was being maltreated. I think you can all guess my mother’s reaction. Tonne of bricks.

But my sister was a kid and kids sometimes cannot see past the end of their nose; they are naturally immature, selfish and a bit narcissistic. McCoist, on the other hand, is an adult who is payed a handsome wage to occupy a position of responsibility. I can only hope that the SFA come down on him like a tonne of bricks. I won’t be holding my breath, though.

borussiabeefburgPosted on9:20 am - Aug 23, 2013

Drew Peacock says:
August 23, 2013 at 12:05 am
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I fully appreciate that it is unwise to comment on this but I will anyway.
There is such a thing as a Catholic School and it is a creation of the Educational Act of 1918…
++++++++
Just two wee corrections on that: there is such a thing as a ‘Roman Catholic’ school. I’m not splitting hairs, before anyone makes that accusation, just correcting a oft mistaken definition, which I stated yesterday is a bugbear of mine.

And, secondly….. all Protestants are catholic, in that they are part of the One, Holy and Apostolic Catholic Church. The Church of Scotland baptism service refers to worshippers as being part of the catholic church, in the sense of the church universal. I often used this fact to put rampant bigots (staff and pupils) in their place.

Me, I’m an atheist.

No more on that subject from me.

Regarding ‘scatters’, yes, they were common throughout central Scotland, the last I saw was only a few years ago. As wottpi says, this occurred in the bride’s home road.

Anyway, back to the monitoring: last weekend I was watching the scores come through on the laptop and noted a large number of sendings off in Scottish games, while the English League appeared to be trouble free. I’ve thought this before, that either the players in Scotland are more likely to commit fouls or perhaps the referees are operating to different standards (I know….)

On the BBC football site, it gives a breakdown of fouls committed. Now, I know this is not a perfect science, but from the samples I looked at, it appeared just as many fouls are committed down south as here in Scotland. Does anyone know of a site where a ready comparison of sendings off can be seen?

Also, I’ve heard fans saying they are not going back to the football, paying £20 plus to watch an incompetent referee.

So, my questions: is the standard of refereeing in Scotland lower than that in the English leagues, and does the quality of refereeing discourage people from attending matches?

abigguydiditandranawaymisterPosted on9:31 am - Aug 23, 2013

For the avoidance of doubt, I am not nor have I ever been a professional footballer…

You know what?

I knew the rules about betting…

As the yanks might say…

Go figure!

ecobhoyPosted on9:43 am - Aug 23, 2013

Drew Peacock says:
August 23, 2013 at 12:05 am
ecobhoy says:
August 22, 2013 at 9:43 pm

The “protestant” schools are non-denominational state schools and are therefore not protestant schools although in ecobhoys era there may only have been protestant pupils but I suspect there were some atheists too.
========================================================
There may well have been atheists in formation in both schools but both were primary schools and in the Ecobhoy Era (That has a lovely ring to it) I think concepts such as atheism and agnosticism were beyond the age group involved.

But like another poster mentioned through my children I am surrounded by a wide variety of a younger generation of all colours, creeds, religions as well as sexual orientation and what a fantastic bunch who will do Scotland proud as will their children.

These people are the real hope for the future because so many of them aren’t shackled to our history – yea there’s plenty of problems but I really believe they stand a good chance of improving Scotland for their children and grandchildren.

Another poster mentioned Thistle Street and that’s where my family came from as well as Hospital Street. I’m trying to figure where the pic was taken – it vaguely reminds me of Gorbals Cross and wonder if my recollection is correct. All that’s left to mark my old street where I played ball against the India Tyre store is the Nautical College.

Have to rush as going out and will be busy today some will be pleased to hear 😛

verselijkfcPosted on9:44 am - Aug 23, 2013

RyanGosling says:
August 22, 2013 at 10:03 pm
Now I might well be naïve, but I just took that in the heat of the moment he was asked a question and said what was on his mind – because people within Rangers knew it doesn’t mean McCoist knew, and he might not even have known they knew
RyanGosling says:
August 22, 2013 at 10:23 pm
As I said, I know its not going to be a popular viewpoint on here, but I just don’t think he was being malicious with his statement at that time.
————-
With respect can I refer you to the events of 02-March 2011? Everything anybody needs to know about Mr McCoist was laid bare that evening. It’s not as if McCoist and Lennon weren’t mates of the park – he knew the pressure that Lennon was under (moved 3-times at request of police in the middle of the night with partner and kids in the previous 4 weeks due to serious threats against his life) and yet, and yet, he behaved like “fill in your own blanks”. He also knew that he, like his key players that night, would not be punished in any way. Therein lies the dark heart of SFA. Lennon of course was but he hasn’t yet told anyone what McCoist said that night. Had the roles been reversed, we know it would be plastered over every MSM front page.

scapaflowPosted on10:15 am - Aug 23, 2013

“I don’t subscribe to the view that McCoist is malevolent. I think he is just thick.”. Sorry, I think he is both.

Tif FinnPosted on10:29 am - Aug 23, 2013

I actually find the west of Scotland fascination with denominational and non-denominational schools fascinating (and quite sad). I cannot remember it ever being an issue in England where there are clearly denominational schools. For example this would appear to be the situation with the Anglican faith.

—————————————————–

Church of England schools comprise 23% of all maintained schools in England and Wales. The schools include infant, junior, primary, middle, all age, secondary schools and academies. For facts and figures about Church of England schools, please follow the link below.

Key facts:

•Approximately 1 million children attend C of E schools
•About 15 million people alive today went to one
•25% (4484) of all primary and middle schools are C of E
•193 (6.25%) secondary schools are C of E
•With more than 50 sponsored and 217 converter academies, the Church is the biggest provider in England
•564 independent schools declare themselves to be C of E
Church of England schools are established primarily for the communities they are located in. They are inclusive and serve equally those who are of the Christian faith, those of other faiths and those with no faith.

Taken from http://www.churchofengland.org/education/church-schools-academies.aspx

No-one seems to get would up about it, or make a fuss about it, or even care that I can see. They either choose to send their children to one of these schools, or a school with links to another faith, or a non-denominational school.

I genuinely don’t understand what all the fuss is in the west of Scotland.

arabest1Posted on10:32 am - Aug 23, 2013

As far as I can see the ‘Rangersness’ embodied by McCoist (and others) is profoundly psychopathic in character. McCoist simply ignores the rules that may inconvenience him and his pursuit of………………self gratification/cash/legendary status…… without regard for the consequences. Whether it is endangering the lives of individuals who volunteered to assist the game with their legal expertise, or the aggressive and sinister dog whistles against those ‘fly wee kickers’ who dared to suggest the rules be applied to the Govan club. I hope James Forrest is correct and and there are consequences for McCoist this time…he is dangerous and beneath contempt.

tomtomPosted on10:38 am - Aug 23, 2013

Tif Finn says:
August 23, 2013 at 10:29 am
0 2 Rate This

I genuinely don’t understand what all the fuss is in the west of Scotland.

=======================================

The fuss is that when you went for a job and were asked what school you went to you knew it wasn’t because the person interviewing you might have been friends with one of your teachers and was enquiring about their health.

HirsutePursuitPosted on10:41 am - Aug 23, 2013

Green, who led a consortium that purchased Rangers’ assets last year, had resigned as chief executive in April amid accusations of links with former owner Craig Whyte.

An internal club investigation having found no evidence of such links, the Englishman returned as a paid consultant earlier this month.

Once again, incredibly sloppy journalism from the BBC.

The internal club investigation found no evidence that Craig Whyte was involved in the formation of Sevco Scotland, nor could they connect any investment in RIFC plc to Mr Whyte.

The new club did not publish any opinion on the allegations made by Mr Whyte: namely
1. That Mr Green fronted Sevco 5088 for Mr Whyte
2. That Mr Green acted dishonestly in novating Sevco 5088’s contract with Duff & Phelps to Sevco Scotland.

We simply do not know if the ” internal club investigation” found evidence of the specific allegations linking Mr Green with Mr Whyte. As far as we know, these specific allegations were not even investigated.

Once again BBC, we deserve better than this! 😳 🙁

Gym TrainerPosted on10:43 am - Aug 23, 2013

>>wottpi says:
>>August 23, 2013 at 9:10 am

>>You say scramble, I say ‘poor-oot’ !!
>>IIRC the father of the bride often did one when the bride left her street to head for the church as well as coins being thrown after the wedding itself.

I grew up near Newcastle in yon Englandshire and it happened there too… was always called the “hoy oot” round us – always composed of silver (back when 2 bob was worth having – so to get 10 bob or more in the hoy oot was a grand day out)

valentinesclownPosted on10:44 am - Aug 23, 2013

Mr Greenwood from Guardian questions our SMSM on CF info

coineanachantaighePosted on10:47 am - Aug 23, 2013

bmchugh says:
August 23, 2013 at 7:29 am
===============================

Terific wee bit of history there. Sad thing is the Gorbals is gone now except in name. There was a medieval village there – which became a distinctive area of Glasgow until the bulldozers flattened everything. A lot of the city’s history was wiped out in these days without even an attempt to record what had been. That’s why your little film is so valuable.

neepheidPosted on10:47 am - Aug 23, 2013

RyanGosling says:
August 22, 2013 at 10:23 pm
=============
Well that’s a point of view, I suppose, and you are of course entitled to it. Can you enlighten us with your views on McCoist’s observations yesterday regarding the gambling story? Just Ally being Ally, was it, and he’s such a loveable cheeky wee chappy that we should all just smile knowingly and ignore it? (That’s Lunny’s plan, by the way- again)

Just to make my own position clear, I believe that McCoist has shown himself over the last 3 years to be a sly, malicious, avaricious and generally repulsive character. Just about everything he has said and done supports that view. And as Scapaflow has already pointed out, that doesn’t mean he’s not thick as well.

torrejohnbhoyPosted on10:52 am - Aug 23, 2013

Jim McColl says no compromises with the Rangers board.
Surely he knows that Paul Murray is barred from being a director,or is he also ignoring the rules?.
The 1st question I’d ask him is:
“Mr McColl,Can you tell me why I should back you when you’ve made it clear you won’t be involved?”
“Why should I put my cash on the line,when you won’t?.

scapaflowPosted on10:53 am - Aug 23, 2013

Bloke on twitter earlier, asking if Ally was stupid enough to put his own name on his list, mibbes aye?

GiovanniPosted on10:58 am - Aug 23, 2013

arabest1 says:
August 23, 2013 at 10:32 am

=============================
Whilst not being a qualified psychiatrist I think Mr McCoist and others showing “Rangersness” are more sociopathic rather than a psychopathic. According to the list of sociopathic traits listed below Mr McCoist exhibits several.

1 Sociopaths are charming.
2 Sociopaths are more spontaneous and intense than other people.
3 Sociopaths are incapable of feeling shame, guilt or remorse
4 Sociopaths invent outrageous lies about their experiences.
5 Sociopaths seek to dominate others and “win” at all costs
6 Sociopaths tend to be highly intelligent
7 Sociopaths are incapable of love
8 Sociopaths never apologise
9 Sociopaths are delusional and literally believe that what they say becomes truth merely because they say it!

Mr McCoist certainly seems to show numbers 3,5,8 and 9. As I don’t know him personally I cannot quantify the others but 1, 2 and 4 seem likely.

raynoeabiPosted on11:00 am - Aug 23, 2013

On the subject of scrambles, my niece married a footballer 6 years ago, her wedding was held next door to a primary school and finished the same time as the school. It was endearing to see all the kids with their jotters and pens getting all the Scottish Internationalists autographs, I have fond memories of big Davie Weir pen poised and my brother in law flinging the bags of money over the proceedings, needless to say the wanes dumped their jotters and proceeded to the scramble, leaving the footballers bemused!

scapaflowPosted on11:08 am - Aug 23, 2013

torrejohnbhoy(@johnbhoy1958) says:
August 23, 2013 at 10:52 am

Actually the Great Administrator recently said that the Fit and Proper rules were guidance, and each case should be judged on its merits.

It would be perverse would it not, for an organisation to unanimously elect Mr Ogilvy, and, then turn round and say that Mr Paul Murray was not a fit and proper person to be involved in the running of a football club?

The SFA A permanent embarrassment and an occasional disgrace.

arabest1Posted on11:10 am - Aug 23, 2013

Fair point Gio, I’m unsure of the difference between psychopathic and sociopathic behaviours they look remarkably similar…….nor am I qualified to judge!

spartacusthethirdPosted on11:16 am - Aug 23, 2013

Logged on this morning to read comments on Scottish Football as per:

‘The Scottish Football Monitor’

only to find a discussion on ‘Protestant/Catholic schools – a discussion that has been done to death across the wide expanse of the internet
and
‘Scrambles at weddings’

Come on guys, its slow during the night but shirley theres enough in our game and its governance to keep people on track for the next couple of years without taking the discussion to these levels.

briggsbhoyPosted on11:21 am - Aug 23, 2013

I’m sure Ally’s list will be shredded like most other incriminating evidence at Ibrokes. 😉

ianagainPosted on11:24 am - Aug 23, 2013

MSM yer teas oot.

Guardian writer and journalism professor Roy Greenslade accuses Scottish media of failing readers over Rangers coverage

Read more at http://www.thedrum.com/news/2013/08/23/guardian-writer-and-journalism-professor-roy-greenslade-accuses-scottish-media#XPfh4tYYqIEFZQhU.99

bluPosted on11:28 am - Aug 23, 2013

scapaflow says:
August 23, 2013 at 10:15 am
=============================================================
scapaflow, like many footballers in Scotland, McCoist may be under-educated but I don’t think that he is stupid. He was a very well paid footballer for a number of years and doesn’t appear to have gambled or drunk it all away. We’ve all seen that he can present a persona on national television that enabled him to earn significant amounts of money from the BBC. I personally have seen him speak well at events for national charities (NB NOT RCF) with a clear understanding of the causes and beneficiaries. My impression was that he was empathetic, was happy that his public profile would draw others in who’d be happy to make donations and that he wasn’t just trying to look good.

That just makes his behaviour in relation to matters Rangers, covered at length on TSFM, look more sinister. For a man reportedly paid a high six-figure salary plus bonuses and cheap company shares he knows surprisingly little about ‘their’ rules when it suits and a lot about winding up Rangers fans when it suits the RIFC, and his, agenda.

theoldshedPosted on11:31 am - Aug 23, 2013

Swansea, playing to a lacklustre audience of 12500, wiping the floor with albeit modest european opposition highlighted to me the heights to which Celtic could rise if they had access to the Premiership’s tv millions. Surely now is the time for Celtic to be doing their utmost to leave the stinking cesspit of Scottish football behind and start the long journey to the upper reaches of English football. To any rational person the concept of the Old Firm is dead and Celtic should be playing on their strengths (massive fan base, wordwide brand etc) to gain entry to English non league football.

I’m not a Celtic supporter (having been born and raised in Edinburgh, Hearts is my team) but I have always been impressed by the passion and loyalty of their support. From the lisbon lions, the immense attendance v Leeds at Hampden in 1970, to the thunder of european nights at Parkhead, I could sense that the majority of the Celtic support’s motivation was pride in their team, as opposed to hatred. I wonder how many Celtic fans would be excited by the prospect of a 6 or 7 year journey to the premiership, as opposed to the hate ridden shambles that the MSM/authorities have decreed is the only option for Scotland.

With Celtic gone I suspect The Rangers mark 2 or 3 or whatever (the official line will be to continue dropping the “The” and pretending insolvency event 1, 2, 3 etc never happened) would have the wind taken out their sails..who would there be to hate? Perhaps Hibs would mysteriously emerge in the MSM as public enemy number 1, just to keep things spicy, for the benefit of Scottish football of course.

scapaflowPosted on11:32 am - Aug 23, 2013

blu says:
August 23, 2013 at 11:28 am

I see where you are coming from, but from my experience, you can give an idiot a degree, and you’re still stuck with an idiot with letters after his name…

torrejohnbhoyPosted on11:35 am - Aug 23, 2013

scapaflow says:
August 23, 2013 at 11:08 am

torrejohnbhoy(@johnbhoy1958) says:
August 23, 2013 at 10:52 am

The SFA A permanent embarrassment and an occasional disgrace.
==================================================
The SFA would give Fred West “Fit & Proper” status if he could help TRFC.
I thought it was company law that barred him for 5 years.May be wrong(It has been known), :mrgreen:

Madbhoy24941Posted on11:40 am - Aug 23, 2013

blu says:

August 23, 2013 at 11:28 am
——————————————–

Agreed! He is anything but stupid. I have been in his presence many a time both outside and inside of Ibrox and he is pretty tuned on in many respects. But some of the behaviours displayed over the last year have led us to ask if those actions were stupid, I don’t believe there is any doubts that they were.

The real question is the motivation for the statements and acts, if we had that confirmed then I am sure it would conclusively prove he is no idiot.

If he was another manager who knew his words would be analysed and critiqued, he would not make a similar statement next time, he knows the score and is playing the game accordingly and if I may add, very well.

Palacio67Posted on11:42 am - Aug 23, 2013

Well done to ‘The Drum’ for its piece on Roy Greenslade and the Charlotte Fakes Material.
Memo to Tom English….Time to grow a set.

Tif FinnPosted on11:47 am - Aug 23, 2013

tomtom says:
August 23, 2013 at 10:38 am

Tif Finn says:
August 23, 2013 at 10:29 am
0 2 Rate This

I genuinely don’t understand what all the fuss is in the west of Scotland.

=======================================

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

That’s the point, it should be totally irrelevant.

My last word on the subject, as I agree with others that it shouldn’t even be being discussed here. It should be just as irrelevant here as anywhere else.

bluPosted on11:49 am - Aug 23, 2013

scapaflow says:
August 23, 2013 at 11:32 am
=====================================
scapa, I’m saying that he doesn’t have that as an excuse – he chooses to do these things they don’t just happen to him. Giovanni’s probably on the money as to why he acts in this way.

spartacusthethirdPosted on11:50 am - Aug 23, 2013

Palacio67 says:
August 23, 2013 at 11:42 am
—————————————————

Is it possible that we have just seen ‘The Drum’ test the legal water by publishing an excerpt of a leaked email by CF?
If this is successful what is the chance we will see more ‘excerpts’ appearing in the MSM?

(Wont hold my breath though)

Drew PeacockPosted on12:09 pm - Aug 23, 2013

Palacio67 says:
August 23, 2013 at 11:42 am

Memo to Tom English….Time to grow a set.
_________________________________________________________________________

I agree re TE but to his credit is he not saying that if CF posted something “nuclear” then he would run with it?

So come on CF give Tom something worthy of him to write about.

NawlitePosted on12:23 pm - Aug 23, 2013

Drew Peacock says:

August 23, 2013 at 12:09 pm

So come on CF give Tom something worthy of him to write about.
________________________________________________________________-

Are you serious?!?

“You are Sevco”
Imran’s mum
Rafat
etc etc

Certainly nothing worthy of Tom getting his pen dirty with!

valentinesclownPosted on12:25 pm - Aug 23, 2013

Maybe we should ask Ally to run with the CF information as legal rules do not apply to him.

Could not argue with the tweet below.

THOR MOLECULES ‏@JamesVonDoom 18m
Why is it every time Rangers break the rules, it’s the rules that have to be looked at.

ProhibbyPosted on12:35 pm - Aug 23, 2013

Giovanni says:
August 23, 2013 at 10:58 am
blu says:
August 23, 2013 at 11:49 am
scapaflow says:
August 23, 2013 at 11:32 am

I would have thought the simplest and most likely explanation for McCoist’s behaviour and outbursts is that his back is against the wall and has been so for some time. Denied a blindfold, he can see the firing squad lining up. His only hope is to appeal to the gallery, shout the things they want to hear and decry those they want to hear decried. What you are seeing is someone in panic. I can’t bear to watch……..

scapaflowPosted on12:35 pm - Aug 23, 2013

Oh Dear Mr McCoist what have you started

Ex-player Gordon Parks makes Scottish match-fixing claim

bad capt madmanPosted on12:53 pm - Aug 23, 2013

I contacted the SFA today, asking Mr Lunny to investigate Mr McCoist’s claim that players and officlals are gambling on football matches, with the belief that that this brings the game into disrepute. Since I’ve not had any correspondence responded to or acknowledged previously, I am not hopeful, but you have to try I suppose.

I also sent my 8 MSPs information on the OSCR decision on RCF last week and had one reply asking for more information that same day! wowie!.

ianagainPosted on12:53 pm - Aug 23, 2013

McCoist

Do it and shut up.

SFA reject Ally McCoist’s call for gambling clarification
“Just pick up the phone,” says the governing body.

bad capt madmanPosted on12:56 pm - Aug 23, 2013

Oh, FAO Mr Lunny, in order to get evidence you have sometimes to go looking for it…so try “investigating”, rather than just take what people give you…

ianjsPosted on12:56 pm - Aug 23, 2013

bad capt madman says:
August 23, 2013 at 12:53 pm

” I also sent my 8 MSPs information on the OSCR decision on RCF last week and had one reply asking for more information that same day! wowie”
How do you get 8 and I only get 1 ? 😛

vivitronPosted on12:56 pm - Aug 23, 2013

theoldshed says:
August 23, 2013 at 11:31 am

—–

The journey has already started:

BawsmanPosted on12:57 pm - Aug 23, 2013

bad capt madman says:
August 23, 2013 at 12:53 pm

—————————————–

I have sent numerous mails (e & snail) to the SFA/SPL & SPFL, no responses at all. It is a disgrace.

Good luck with your quest, we cannot let them relax.

Always remember that it is the SFA we need to target.

Danish PastryPosted on1:03 pm - Aug 23, 2013

Before the old Glasgow nostalga subsides, spare a thought for London Road Primary. Celtic, a club that cherishes and values its heritage, wants to demolish a listed, historic building – in order to build a museum. Seems a contradiction in terms. This building could become the centrepiece of a structure combining past and present.

Here’s what Derelict Glasgow say:

“London Road Primary School, now due to be sold by GCC to Celtic Football club for 300k. Demolition will then occur of this B listed building (“salvageable” as admitted by the council – it’s condition does not preclude refurbishment, adaptation or the employment of a talented architecture firm to work with an existing building with a state of the art extension – check elder & cannon and Shettleston Housing Association offices) In its place Celtic intend to build a new club museum. No doubt another shiny box to sit between the stadium and velodrome … only Historic Scotland now potentially stand in the way as they can object…..”

Do football clubs have a social responsibility to their local area?

Not The Huddle MalcontentPosted on1:06 pm - Aug 23, 2013

scapaflow says:
August 23, 2013 at 12:35 pm
1 0 Rate This

Oh Dear Mr McCoist what have you started

Ex-player Gordon Parks makes Scottish match-fixing claim

======================================

given that Gordon Parks is now a journo – you’d have thought he could have put together a pretty explosive expose on such things and made a name for himself – as a journalist.

Shame. He now just looks like an apologist for Black/McCoist/Sevco now.

Anyway, between McCoists (100 names – players and officials) and Parks claims that whole teams were fixing games, OSCR, the Green/Whyte – Sevco Scotland/Sevco 5088 novation, charity games, EBT payments, “gangsters” on the board – i think it’s time we risked the wrath of UEFA and had a full parliamentary inquiry into the game in Scotland

Customers – that’s fans, you and me – are being duped on a grand scale. We are biying a product that is NOT what it says on the tin. False advertising, blatant cheating, a con by any other name.

Time for Alec Salmond to stick his nose in again and do something for the people of Scotland.

EstebanPosted on1:17 pm - Aug 23, 2013

Don’t know if this has been raised already on TSFM, but it strikes me that there is something about a footballer betting against his team that is akin to insider trading.

In gambling, you are supposed to pit your wits against the house and, if your judgement is correct, you can win money. If you know something the rest of the world doesn’t (that a player in the match has a vested interest in his team not winning) you have an unfair advantage. It’s inside information.

There is no justification for it. “Lots of people do it” is no justification.

Not The Huddle MalcontentPosted on1:21 pm - Aug 23, 2013

Not The Huddle Malcontent says:
August 23, 2013 at 1:06 pm
5 0 Rate This

scapaflow says:
August 23, 2013 at 12:35 pm
1 0 Rate This

Oh Dear Mr McCoist what have you started

Ex-player Gordon Parks makes Scottish match-fixing claim

======================================

—————————————————————————————————-

I wonder if Gordon Parks is still on that “insider circle” and is placing bets on games knowing they are fixed.

Is that why he has never published anything on such a scandal until now

—————————————————————————————————-

Is that why he has never published anything on such a scandal until now

=====

Sounds Nuclear

I agree why now?

btw

all posters should learn to internet

do not feed the trolls

slimshady61Posted on1:34 pm - Aug 23, 2013

Danish Pastry says:
August 23, 2013 at 1:03 pm
—————————————
DP

Celtic don’t own the school, the council owns it.

The council has neglected it for nigh on 20 years and allowed the roof to rot and disappear. The council refused Celtic permission to acquire it.

Until now……and that of course is because the Commonwealth Games are due in Glasgow next year and the school is an eyesore which would be to the fore in the opening ceremony.

There are many such Victorian school buildings dotted around Glasgow, most abandoned and falling down.

Celtic have been held to ransom and required to pay £300K to acquire it when an almost identical one nearby was sold (for demolition) for half that price not so long ago.

One Glasgow, many councillors….

Oh and a councillor on behalf of a small local shopkeeper – Tesco plc- objected to Celtic’s plans to include retail outlets on the site, on the grounds that those outlets would take business away from this small, local business….

54 (councillors to appease) to 0

shooie 1967Posted on1:41 pm - Aug 23, 2013

Whats with this celtic nation they have nothing to do with Glasgow celtic do they??? 😥

redlichtiePosted on1:54 pm - Aug 23, 2013

According to The Times today McCoist is quoted as saying :

“I’ve tried to phone one of the directors at Ladbrokes and I’ve no doubt I’ll get a chance to speak to him.”

What? There is a formal process underway and he proposes to speak to a potential witness? On what grounds? Is he trying to influence evidence?

Mr Lunney – you need to act now as this guy is totally out of control. Continuing in the same vein as Leona Helmsley (“We don’t pay taxes. Only the little people pay taxes”) McCoist and his Club appear to think rules are also only for other people.

Scottish football needs Strong Forceful Action from the authorities.

vivitronPosted on1:54 pm - Aug 23, 2013

shooie 1967 says:
August 23, 2013 at 1:41 pm

—-

The Guardian think they might be Celtic’s Trojan Horse:

StevoCFCPosted on2:01 pm - Aug 23, 2013

Does anyone else remember Jim Traynor almost vomiting on Your Call when callers mentioned ‘sporting integrity’? It was almost as if he wanted to say… “you think sticking a new Rangers in the SPL lacks sporting integrity? That’s nothing compared to…”

bluPosted on2:11 pm - Aug 23, 2013

Danish – London Street School – all the info’s here:

celtincambsPosted on2:14 pm - Aug 23, 2013

So, Scottish Football has once again been pulled into the mire with the Black revelations, the sinister/comical (depending on how you view it) response by McCoist and the inevitable snowball effect, with respect to the Park claims previously noted in the comments above.

There are a few noteworthy points to arise from this debacle.

First, following the EBT scandal and associated rulebreaking, there is further evidence that the SFA rules are viewed as an irritance or a lifestyle choice by some.

McCoist is stating ignorance of the rules whereas there is now evidence that players are made aware of the rules.

Meanwhile, Inverness midfielder Aaron Doran and Kilmarnock manager Allan Johnston say the guidelines regarding betting for players in Scotland are quite clear.

“Someone from the SFA comes into the club at the start of the season and tells us what we can and what we can’t bet on and you’re not supposed to bet on any Scottish football or really any football in the UK,” Doran told BBC Scotland.

“We get told what we can and what we can’t do so I don’t think you should be doing it if you get told at the start of the season.”

And Johnston added: “I think the players should know. The PFA have been in a number of times to stress upon the boys the rules on gambling; you can’t do it in football so it’s not worth taking the chance.”

This seems at odds with McCoist’s claim of ignorance.

The second noteworthy point is of course McCoist’s sheaf of papers of the never-to-be-known guilty. What is the point of this? Is it:

a) to spread the blame around (“the why always us?” defence)
b) to provide evidence of a whole list of befuddled parties (look, nobody has a clue)
c) to apply pressure to the SFA to either drop the matter or at least issue a less severe admonishment?

Given that the list is never-to-be-released and given we now know (despite McCoist’s protestations), it cannot be ignorance, by the process of elimination it must be ‘c’.

So we have further evidence of an employee of one club trying to bring the Association to heel.

The third noteworthy point is the TRFC PR machine rumbling into action and the tame journos and eager ex-players all too willing to throw their tuppence worth in.

It all then follows a tawdry path which we have seen before, particularly in the past two years and which is killing the game in Scotland. In fact, it may already be dead.

An informative and reasoned post on a Rangers forum outlined the reasons exactly why Black was investigated (large bet on an obscure market, obligation to report to authorities) and why it was appropriate (betting against own team).

McCoist’s hastily convened list of “over 100” players may, or may not be in the same category as the above however in the interest of cleansing the game in Scotland, and given that even in Scotland rules are supposed to be rules, I for one would be amenable to the SFA being made aware of the list and each person on that list being investigated. They could start by asking each player directly of the scope of their alleged betting activities.

What should happen is that, if proven to have contravened the rules, Black should be punished according to both the letter and spirit of those rules. So should all those found guilty with the appropriate evidence.

Applying the rules as they were intended, without fear or favour is the only way the Scottish game can be pulled back from the brink.

valentinesclownPosted on2:19 pm - Aug 23, 2013

CharlotteFakes 18m
Ally McCoist, the man who threatened to walk away, is not a gambler. He hedges his bets. Prior to the RIFC (cont) http://tl.gd/n_1rm2ge7

Well well Ally pay cut my a***.

Easy money if you can get it

Palacio67Posted on2:23 pm - Aug 23, 2013

Tom English,
An inside betting ring in Scottish football?
Nuclear?

Time to grow a set…..

( Directed at any other hacks, I mean ‘journalists’ that might be lurking)

Danish PastryPosted on2:29 pm - Aug 23, 2013

slimshady61 says:
August 23, 2013 at 1:34 pm
9 1 Rate This
————

I could well believe the GCC behaving like that. But my only concern is the local heritage aspect. Just seems like an excellent opportunity to preserve something unique. The school and Celtic Park have been neighbours for so long and in some ways have a shared history. There’s been so much urban regeneration that includes a refurbished part of an older structure. A wee bit of imagination. I only mention it because of the obvious nostalga many of us have for the old Glasgow which was ill-maintained and mercilessly bulldozed. You don’t get it back once it’s gone. I’ve followed the story a bit because some of own family have roots there. Anyway, before I’m frogmarched off the blog as a troll, I’ll leave it at that 😉

Blindsummit63Posted on2:45 pm - Aug 23, 2013

Not The Huddle Malcontent says:
I think it’s time we risked the wrath of UEFA and had a full parliamentary inquiry into the game in Scotland
__________________________________________________________________

Excellent point NTHM. I think it’s well past this point now. The game in Scotland has been brought to it’s knees and the only hope of salvation is for the dam holiding in the corruption to break and the whole stinking mess to be revealed. Only then is there any chance of reviving or saving it.

All involved are hopelessly compromised. The SFA, SPFL, media, judicial figures, politiicians, match officials and now possibly the players themselves. And not to forget the Boards of our clubs who have shown, with a few brave exceptions, their willingness to continue the fraud (re-election unopposed of CO being the final proof of this).
While the support and continuation of a rangers entity has been the most blatant symptom of the mass corruption infecting Scottish Football, in many ways this is merely part of the problem and the corruption goes much further.

None of the above have shown themselves to be in any way fit for purpose to run or participate in a modern, fair, equal and above board sporting competition.

So it’s time for a Parliamentary Commission or something similar. One where the truth can finally be told.

Do I think we will get one? In Scotland? not a chance in hell. So, for me the game is already dead.

As an aside, what we are lacking is one central “opposition” figure, who would have been willing to take the corruption on, and provide a rallying point for our efforts as bampots. A public figure, someone with guts, gravitas. Someone who couldn’t be bought or bullied. Alas, we have lacked this so as a result the much more co-ordinated efforts of the Scottish Football establishment have been able to obfuscate, stonewall, delay and outright lie. Someone like Turnbull Hutton would have done.

wottpiPosted on2:48 pm - Aug 23, 2013

redlichtie says:
August 23, 2013 at 1:54 pm

According to The Times today McCoist is quoted as saying :

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So it seems like the cost cutting at Ibrox has begun and the manager, who just wanted to get on with footballing matters, is doubling up on jobs by running around doing an impression of that aptly named private dick – Eddie Shoestring.

I’ll get my deer stalker and magnifying glass!!!

scapaflowPosted on2:49 pm - Aug 23, 2013

@Auldheid, or indeed anyone. Looking for a break down of how much public money the SFA have had since 2007, raw figures wld do, or somewhere to look

Thanks

cowanpetePosted on2:53 pm - Aug 23, 2013

scapaflow says:
Oh Dear Mr McCoist what have you started
Ex-player Gordon Parks makes Scottish match-fixing claim
=======
forget the SFA, time to go to UEFA and FIFA with this.
This is exactly the sort of thing that these bodies hate. They can probably live with the SFA being a badly-run possibly corrupt organisation.
But THIS sort of news will surely get them to focus on SCottish Football and by uncovering the betting scandals who knows what other collateral damage they might find?

Danish PastryPosted on2:57 pm - Aug 23, 2013

redlichtie says:
August 23, 2013 at 1:54 pm
20 0 Rate This

According to The Times today McCoist is quoted as saying :

—–

It could be interpreted as another of those veiled threats. Why would he phone him? I suppose the mere utterance of AM displeasure could press the boycott button with the fans. Of course, he might want to run through the names on his list with ‘Ladsbroke’.

paulsatimPosted on3:00 pm - Aug 23, 2013

Danish Pastry says:
August 23, 2013 at 2:57 pm

redlichtie says:
August 23, 2013 at 1:54 pm

================================
Is this the director with the Irish sounding name?

EstebanPosted on3:24 pm - Aug 23, 2013

Scapaflow

This may be an interesting document for you:

It details what the executive did with money confiscated from criminals. I’m not sure of the timeframes. The bottom of the page says it was last updated on August 14 this year.

It says that the programme, called Cashback for Communities, began in 2007 and has since then amassed a fund of more than £50 million for community projects. Top of the list of recipients, with £5,436,000 is the Scottish Football Association.

Perhaps there is other public funding in place too, but this is the reference I have seen.

AllyJamboPosted on3:25 pm - Aug 23, 2013

valentinesclown says:

August 23, 2013 at 10:44 am

Thanks for posting that vc.

Taken from that Drum article, and I hope no one who reads it will ever think of Tom English as one of the ‘better’ journalists in Scotland again. For the record, I’ve never thought him good, just a notch above Young, Jackson, Traynor etc., but only in terms of intelligence, not in journalistic ability. These, in my opinion, are the words of a coward!

Quote:

“However, sportswriter at broadsheet title The Scotsman, Tom English, defended the Scottish media’s reluctance to touch the material.

“Some of the documents have been very interesting, but I think accompanying that there has been a level of hysteria,” he said.

“As journalists we have to separate what is interesting and what is relevant. There has been stuff on Charlotte Fakes that has made me think but has not yet made me act.” ”

Read more at http://www.thedrum.com/news/2013/08/23/guardian-writer-and-journalism-professor-roy-greenslade-accuses-scottish-media#0O2DdVJ6baRxW1Cz.99

scapaflowPosted on3:26 pm - Aug 23, 2013

Esteban says:
August 23, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Esteban, that’s exactly the sort of thing I’m after, I want to head off any questions about locus at the pass.

Cheers

neepheidPosted on3:28 pm - Aug 23, 2013

Blindsummit63 says:
August 23, 2013 at 2:45 pm

==========
And that is the crux of the matter. Only a couple of months ago, the clubs had the chance at their AGM to at least start the cleansing process, by getting a new president to replace the notoriously compromised Ogilvie. It would have been a small start, but at least it would have been an indication that there was at the very least an awareness among the clubs that urgent action is needed.

It is now transparently obvious that the clubs (and I mean all of them) do not want urgent action, or indeed any action, regarding the scandalous state of the SFA. What they want is precisely what Ogilvie excels at- any awkward matters deftly swept under the SFA presidential carpet. Which is, of course, why he was re-elected unopposed. He does what the clubs want.

If just one Scottish club had had the guts to speak up at the AGM and say- hang on a minute boys, we simply can’t go along with this- then that club, whoever and wherever they might have been, would have gained themselves at least one supporter. As it is, there is not one single Scottish club that has earned my support. Because I am simply not prepared to hand over as much as a bent penny to any club complicit in the coronation of Ogilvie.

The SFA is, in the end, just the expression of the will of the clubs. The clubs control it, the clubs elect the president, the CEO answers to a Board made up by the clubs. Everything that has gone on over the last 2 years has been done either at the behest of, or with the consent of, the clubs. I wonder if they are proud of what they have achieved? Believe it or not, they probably are. That is the very sad state of Scottish football today.

Comments are closed.