Scottish Football Administration in the 21st Century

Imagine you are one of those people who have a nice big mahogany desk, with a gloss finish set in a big corner suite office which comes complete with a picture window, a break out area, a couch to lie down on in moments of stress, a quietly playing stereo sound system, fridge, plush carpet and loads of wee executive toy like things of your choosing.

Imagine, just for a moment, that outside your office you have the executive German car that is almost compulsory when you work in such an office. Added to that, you also have the benefit of a large six figure salary, a pension scheme, substantial holidays, a bonus scheme which nicely enhances your already excellent salary, fantastic perks and trips abroad as part of your job, and that you fill a position which leads to invitations to the most fantastic events, do’s, and sporting occasions imaginable.

Imagine the respect you must command from your peers, your family and friends.

Imagine the awe that you must be held in at dinner parties and social events when you are introduced to strangers for the first time– strangers who will have heard your name, and know of your position in society.

Imagine the personal and professional respect you must command from others in your field — or any other field for that matter — when you go to conferences and meetings in foreign cities and with foreign counterparts.

Imagine the envy that many others sometimes feel for someone who has succeeded in business and society to this extent.

Then imagine that the big office described above is at Hampden?

What a bummer!!

Now, I mention all of this because if you were one of the big cheeses at at Hampden, I wonder just what you do with yourself when the large rosewood door of your office closes behind you when you get in there each morning?

Maybe you make a coffee? Read the papers? Check the mail? Go to a meeting about the latest in 3G or is it 4G pitches being installed in a ground or two in the Shetlands?

However, no matter what you do and who you speak to THAT file is always there— always at the corner of your desk, neatly up there at the top left hand corner just beyond the desk top golf set and  above the Newton’s cradle with the balls that spell your name or whatever.

That file– the one that relates to the finances, compliance, directors details and ownership of Rangers Football Club.

At least that is what the top of the file says. Though to be fair it is a continuation file… continuing from the one that was opened two months ago and is fit to burst already with reports, memo’s and letters- which in turn was a continuation of the one before that and the one before that and the one before that and on and on.

Maybe that is not the correct name for the club?

Maybe that is something that can be clarified  at the next meeting with the Directors and CEO of the club— whoever they might be at that time?

No matter where you go in the room, you can see that file from every position. There is just no getting away from it.

Who owns The Rangers?

There are all sorts of reports, share prospectuses, memos, deeds, documents, contracts, letters, e-mails all asking the same thing. And there you are— none the wiser.

Please clarify this, please clarify that, are there any signed but  unrecorded documents, or contracts?

Are the Companies House records accurate? is the Land register accurate?

At the end of the day you just lie on the couch, place a cold cloth over your head and hope it will all go away.

Then the accounts come out. Oh the figures are shocking and they confirm that most of the people you negotiated with to get their team playing football somewhere after the collapse and liquidation of RFC PLC have exited stage left with huge severance cheques.

They now live in France, or Singapore or the Cayman Islands and you can bet they will never darken a door in Mount Florida on a wet February morning ever again.

But that is not the worst of it — the bleeding internet is full of leaks— documents, letters, e-mails, contracts, company forms and all sorts.

You wouldn’t mind if the documents leaked were ones that you had seen before, but in the main they are things that you have never seen and never had disclosed.Every day someone calls and asks ” Have you seen the latest?” and of course you haven’t so you stand there feeling like a complete chookie!!!

Every day you call the compliance and monitoring guys:

” Eh have you seen this? Have you been notified that he is a director?”
” No boss – never seen that? Never knew it existed?”
” So who owns the company if that is correct?”
” Eh Dunno boss — not sure of anything over there any more!”
“Ok have you checked the titles with the lawyers?”
” yes but the title as registered looks ok, but there is no guarantee that it hasn’t been sold to someone else and they have not registered their title for the moment!”
” Have you spoken to the lawyers? Have you asked for clarification?”
” yes Boss — the Lawyers don’t really answer our questions– well at least not fully!”
” What about these accounts – there are 57 pages there – what do they tell us?”
” Well they tell us that the figures are not good, boss, but not immediately critical.”
” Are they paying their taxes?”
” Appear to be boss– but we can’t be sure.can we? We were told they were paying their taxes before and … well you know the rest.”
” Ok, but Pinsent masons rule out the Whyte guy being involved?”
” Ah well not really – they don’t go into the company he says he owns – they sort of ignore that part!”
” But they carried out an independent investigation, surely?”
True boss, but the independent investigation was only into what the non independent guys wanted investigating Boss, and they appear to have finished their report without speaking to all the witnesses.”
 ” Ok but the accounts – what do the accounts say about Whyte being the real owner — I mean they are from Deloittes for God sake – they must make the position clear?”
” Well we have had a look at them boss and in that regard the accounts are King Kenny!”
” King Kenny?”
” Aye King Kenny Boss – with regard to Whyte’s claim they say ” maybes aye– maybes naw” and they leave it at that”
” Jesus, well have you written to the Directors?”
” Aye – half the letters have come back marked “Gone away”.Boss”
” Do you know who the shareholders are?”
” Naw Boss”
“Do they have a bank account and a bank reference ?”
” Naw Boss”
” Who’s coming to the next meeting from their side?”
” Dunno Boss”
” Is there anything you can tell me that lets me close this file and get it off my desk for good?”
” Naw boss”
” Well who did we grant membership to last year?”
” The first time or the second time Boss?”
” What do you mean – first time or second time?”
” We started out granting membership to one company and then changed it to another”
” Two companies – owned by the same people?”
” Dunno Boss– but they sounded the same.”
” And which one got a licence?”
” Dunno boss”
” What?”
 “Was the licence not granted by Mr Longmuir boss? And then ratified by us as a formality?”
” Why are you asking me, you are the compliance guys?”
” Aye but we were told it would all be ok by … well by someone ….. and by Mr Longmuir”
” When did he tell you that?”
 ” Told us one day at Ibrox Boss – I think it was at half time?”
” Half Time?”
” Aye – though it might have been full time boss …..  free bevvy and sandwiches so can’t quite remember”.
” Well who has the paperwork?”
” Lost boss”
” Lost?”
” Yes Boss – it was meant to come up from the SFL but never appeared. Turns out that the SFL was run as an unincorporated body and none of its records etc, are intact or have ever been audited …… Boss.  Mr Ballantyne might have them in his garage Boss! ……… Boss? ….. are you still there? Boss?”

The man in the corner suite leaves the phone dangling, goes to his fridge for a cold drink and switches on the executive plasma hanging on the wall by way of the remote control on his desk.

The screen beams into life and an advert for the brand of soft drink that he is holding fills the wall. The very same brand of soft drink that has just been announced as the official soft drink to partner Scottish Football.

The executive, looks at his drinks can, looks at the file on the corner of the desk, looks at the abandoned phone and finally looks at the screen just as the speakers spell out clearly ………….. the benefits of coming from a long line of Fannies.

This is Scottish Football Administration in the 21st Century.

This entry was posted in General by Trisidium. Bookmark the permalink.

About Trisidium

Trisidium is a Dunblane businessman with a keen interest in Scottish Football. He is a Celtic fan, although the demands of modern-day parenting have seen him less at games and more as a taxi service for his kids.

2,130 thoughts on “Scottish Football Administration in the 21st Century

  1. On media House conflict of interest. In other circumstances I would be astounded that the CEO has not had the “You can work for us or you can work for Mr Easdale” conversation, in these circumstances, it barely warrants a raised eyebrow.

    It is, of course, entirely possible that Mr Easdale’s interest’s are in lock step with those of the board. (Note I said board not company) As we have seen, the board are prepared to go to extraordinary lengths to prevent anyone from joining the board, who is not already, or is not prepared to become, part of their Magic Circle. To be clear, I would not want anyone from the previous company’s board either, but while that may be the stated objection to Mr Murray, I doubt its the real reason.

    I am left wondering, who, if anyone, has the Company’s interests at heart?

    Finally, Mr Irivine represents a form of journalism and PR which is rapidly going out of fashion – see self immolation of the Daily Mail, hopefully this trend will continue, to the benefit of society as a whole.

  2. Big Gav

    You are correct, and I think your explanation of why also makes sense. There are journo’s who are clearly no friend of this board who have also fallen into this trap

    What is quite serious misrepresentation though is Stockbridge’s interview where he in my view deliberately mislead. He stated the £14 million loss wouldn’t be repeated because of the non recurring items

    This is a board who use deception as a basic business tool.

  3. Humble Pie says:
    October 5, 2013 at 1:35 am
    10 0 Rate This

    Glenn Gibbons’ take on The Rangers financial position and McCoist’s outrageous salary. http://m.scotsman.com/news/glenn-gibbons-rangers-financial-position-1-3127365

    When even the likes of Glenn Gibbons feels obliged to write weasel-worded, inaccurate flannel like “the club’s economic devastation over the past three years”, you know that the fear of writing or speaking the truth about the demise of Rangers 1872 is now pathological.

  4. phill450 says:

    October 4, 2013 at 10:39 pm (Edit)
    TSFM says:

    More than happy to oblige with the TUs ad TDs, though definitely not for the reasons Phill450 outlines.
    ________________________

    Fair enough, the 50:50 ratio probably doesn’t account for basic human manners (I’ve politely clapped music performances that I didn’t enjoy, I’ve never actively boo’ed someone 😐 )

    One of the things though, that I’ve enjoyed most about your site, is that people post theories and ideas, other posters diligently research and analyse them, us non-experts then learn something that we would have never known from consuming MSM.

    If the TU/TD system turns out to be a way of filtering what is worth investigating and what is not, it’s possible that some of the finer points will be missed.

    This isn’t a criticism of your site, it applies to most of the internet.

    No criticism was inferred, and neither were my remarks intended to be critical of you. If we can see beyond the malice of the temporary incursions on Thursday and Friday and have a look at the accepted norms on here as a consequence, then it does at least prove that we are willing to take on criticisms and do something about it if possible. Your contribution was in that spirit and I think you deserve some credit for that.

    It is fair to say that in many cases, a simple TD registers a disagreement which if articulated, may turn out to be in conflict with the ethos of the blog. All TDs are not malicious after all.

    Experience also informs us that anyone looking to do a bit of mischief on the site could organise a whole load of registrations, have someone say something controversial/stupid/OTT and then arrange for others to agree with the proposition followed by blanket TUs for that and TDs for any dissent (note that currently, you don’t have to be a registered poster to TU/TD). It is also very easy to circumvent the single TU rule.

    On the wider point of TD/TU, I do worry that SOME posters anticipate reaction and tailor their remarks accordingly.

  5. TSFM says:

    On balance I’d bin them, but, happy to go with whatever the mods decide on this one, tbh

  6. Thanks for letting my post through mods.

    It’s important to me that people realise I am not Goldstein. I made a mistake backing him by the looks of things- but I readily admit I did believe he had something important to say.

    I’m a sucker for floating charge talk.

  7. Good morning
    Long time lurker, first time poster.
    Earlier today monsans posted the following:
    monsans says:
    October 5, 2013 at 2:04 am
    Quantcast
    I have found the debate here fascinating and a couple of interesting things spring to mind over the last few days of announcements.
    The original financial results announcement referred to the football club’s website. Since then there has been a correction (well done the new NOMAD) which indicates that investors should goto the website of the listed entity. One has to think it is good news management to headline it ‘Change of Rule 26 website’ rather than ‘Compliance with Rule 26 – Change of website address for investors rather than followers’

    It is good work for NOMADs and lawyers to be involved in so many announcements over such a short period of time. No wonder administration expenses increase and why a lot of companies consider whether it is worth maintaining a listing when all news that impacts value should be released in an orderly manner (where possible).
    I would like to think that I was responsible for the updates to the RIFC website and not the NOMAD.

    Working on the basis that Rangers, in all its forms, do not believe that the rules are for the likes of them I looked at AIM and noted that out of all their rules the one they get most upset about, and the one which they issue the most fines when it is broken, is Rule 26. A quick at the Rangers website confirmed that, in my view, a breach of the rule was taking place. I brought this to the attention of AIM Regulation who replied as follows: